Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Discipline with Dignity - Richard Curwin and Allen Mendler

I just received a copy of Richard Curwin and Allen Mendler's book, "Discipline with Dignity" - I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into this book. It provides a model for how to create safe spaces by involving youth in defining procedures, rules and consequences based on values or principles compatible with learning. I think that this could be an invaluable resource for youthworkers - particularly for those of us who work with kids who live in high-risk environemnts.

It takes into consideration the work of Howard Gardner on multiple intelligences and the need for difference in teaching strategies - something which has been championed by constructivist educators.

They also explore strategies for working with children who are physically aggressive and explode without provocation, One of my major fears for youthworkers is the danger of not having an effective, strength-based strategy for dealing with anger in our after-school programs. Having a community center serve as a safe space is paramount to having a program that is transformational. This book can help move us all in such a positive direction.

Here's a neat poem written in 1988 by a high school senior from Houston, Texas. This poem is used at the beginning of the book (p.1f.). It captures the tension between teacher and student, or in the case of my line of work, youthworker and youth:

Silent Defiance

I'm the one who watched,
As you laughed;
I'm the one who listened patiently,
While you talked unceasingly;
I'm the one who sat silent,
As your shouts grew louder;
I'm the one who always came,
While your chair sat empty;
I'm the one whose dreams were hidden,
as yours were fulfilled;
I'm the one who cared,
while you butchered knowledge;
I'm the one who watched your petty wars
over something you couldn't understand;
I'm the one who reasoned,
as you discussed,
I'm the one who will remember
when all of you will forget.

Dedicated to Laura - who understood

(Curwin & Mendler, Discipline with dignity, 1999, 1f.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this mean we can't smack a kid?

Tim said...

Steve, I’m wondering if you’re familiar with the term "web 2.0"? The basic idea of web 2.0 is that the web is changing. The change basically centres around the idea that people are no longer content to read the internet like a magazine or newspaper. That people, in fact, want to participate in the web, and that means participating in web pages. Blogs were the first evidence of this as people were not only able to put their thoughts out there, but others were allowed to participate by leaving comments. And now, more and more, websites are beginning to move to this format in the way of video sites, picture sites, music sites, etc.

I share all of that to say the following. I’m about to take your blog off of my bloglines feed man! Seriously dude, if I click on your link and see one more book review…!

A question Steve. Post a question! Or a thought on some relevant issue! Or anything that I don’t have to go spend a week (or more) reading a book so that I can post a comment!

Web 2.0!

Steve Bussey said...

Hi there Tim,

Yes, I'm familiar with web 2.0. It's been something which has been discussed for the past couple of years. The basic premise is that the internet as we know it was never set up to be a "world wide web" where everything from commerce to dating! It was originally supposed to be for military ops and university interaction. The other stuff evolved - a part of the humna condition!

Web 2.0 seeks to go back and redesign the infrastructure to accomodate what it's being used for.

Regarding my blog and book reviews, I'm trying to use this as a space to be my "virtual scratchpad"... I'll try to post some interactive stuff, but I'm trying to use blogger to be more like a virtual memory for me where it can help me organize cognitive load.

However, I agree that it would be cool to discuss some pertinent issues too... Maybe I should create an alternative space for such?

Come on, Tim - I know you love to read! I'm posting this stuff just for you! :)

Best,

Steve

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Anonymous,

If you're a youthworker - of course not! That would immediately give you a 'go to jail' card! :)

What I like about this book is that it recognizes the tension between abuse and neglect. Discipline is a crucial aspect of reclaiming youth - look at any basketball team, musical group etc. - all these communities require a great deal of commitment and present consequences for its participants.

Recognizing consequences are an important part of growing up. However, discipline is not intended to crush an individual, it's intended to help build them up.

Scott Larson illustrates this with the Proverb about "sparing the rod spoils the child." The shepherd's rod had a hook on it to guide sheep, not beat them into submission. The straight side of the staff was used to ward off enemies - and hence protect the sheep!

If we were to use discipline to guide and protect... I think this falls under the banner of 'dignified discipline.' Its result is positive longitudinally!

I hope this helps.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your kind words about my book. I think you captured its essence. By the way, Scott Larson and I are good friends.

All my best,

Rick Curwin

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Rick,

Wow - this illustrates why I love recording my thoughts on blogger... you never know who you're going to meet.

Thank you for writing such an incredible book. I think that this could be a critical resource for training which we do in our program. We train youthworkers for The Salvation Army in the Northeast of the US.

Scott Larson and Larry Brendtro's work has meant so much to me. I have been devouring their material also during the past six months. I'm glad to know you all know each other. I think you're all leading the way in terms of positive youth development. Keep up the great work!

Steve