Search This Blog

Friday, August 18, 2006

My Future - Tools to Help Adolescents Figure Out Their Future

I recently came across this website: My Future. This site is designed for teens who are considering what they wish to become and provides them a load of resources on career options, financial aid, scholarships, building a resume, managing their money, and so much more.

As youthworkers, this could serve as a great year to help teens think about something beyond just the present... a means to dreaming about possibilities - while providing the scaffolding to attain such.

Check it out!

2 comments:

Roz Lynch said...

My future in the Military? The site is a little focussed on one future...which can end up ending other people's futures...

While certain sections may be relevant to any future...The site in the main is biased ie.'join the military' is on the homepage.

I am interested to know if perhaps this site has different futures periodically and it is the military's turn or if it is just a recruiting tool for the military?

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Roz,

I agree - there needs to be other ways besides the military option in a teen's future.

I think what I like about the website is that it illustrates ways in which we can provide tools which serve to increase possibility in youth that would otherwise give up on striving for anything in life.

Maybe you could be involved in setting something like this up? I am just impressed with people who would take that much energy for youth. Maybe we have something to learn from the military?