Search This Blog

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Showing Up at God's Party

I am sitting at my computer after an incredible day with 20 prospective students who are considering the possibility of applying for Railton School for Youth Worker Training.

As I pause after a non-stop day of teaching, interviewing, acting (terribly, I might add) as Hulk Hogan for our 'American Gladiator' spoof, enjoying a 'Bible murder mystery' and endless laughter, tears and great discussion... I must say, that I believe that the best days of The Salvation Army are ahead of us.

I believe that there is a generation of young leaders who are hearing God's calling upon their lives - who are willing to abandon that which is 'the good life' in the eyes of the world to embrace 'the best life' that comes from standing in the perfect will of God.

I believe that we are on the cusp of a revival of lay-leaders who are going to rise up as indigenous leaders - from the soil of the communities where Salvation Army Corps and Community Centers have 'opened fire.' 

I believe that there is a growing, holy discontent for the injustices that plague the lives of children - and that people want to do something about a poverty line that forces children to go to school hungry and guarantees a full house in juvenile centers.

I believe that the gospel is going to be told in new ways, with fresh strategies, fueled by the imaginations of an idealistic Army of believers who dare embrace the possibility that our communities can be reclaimed - and that this gospel, while expressed in different ways, remains the same gospel that existed 2000 years ago.

I believe that daily, God's kingdom will continue to come on earth as it is in heaven - and that every single one of us are invited to the party, the question is, will we show up?

The invitation is extended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was an absolutely amazing weekend. I'm starting my application tomorrow.

Allison Ward said...

It was indeed an awesome weekend! Loved every minute of it. Even your acting skills as Hulk Hogan! Hahaa.
I'm with you on this. I will show up!
Felix filled out his application already! I'm hoping that everything will work out with me too!

Steve Bussey said...

Hey guys,

Great to hear from you all. I am so glad you enjoyed the weekend. I pray that as you gain some distance from the experience and begin to truly reflect on what was shared that you will be able to discern what the Lord has been saying to you.

Hey, I wonder if I'll win an Oscar for my Hulk Hogan imitation?! :)