Search This Blog

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cynthia Willard-Lewis - On the Rebuilding of New Orleans Post-Katrina

Last night, I was driving home from a class at NYU. I turned on the radio and did a random search. I came across this channel called WBAI. On the station was Cynthia Willard-Lewis, who is on the New Orleans City Council.

I'm not normally all that impressed with what I hear on the radio, but Cynthia's speech captivated me! She was discussing the tragedy of New Orleans, the struggle of those who are from marginal communities, and their need for continued assistance.

On a rhetorical level, her argument was brilliant. On an oratorical level, the delivery was masterful. I just emotionally and intellectually connected with what she was saying.

I couldn't help but think of the "seek justice" part of our 1:17 creed when listening. I continue to hope that we can all do our part to aid in helping those who have been left destitute by this natural disaster.

You can listen by clicking on this link. Fast forward the realplayer to about 1:05 hr. into the presentation to hear her speech.

No comments: