Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Cool as a commodity?, or

After reading up on the cool hunt, it can only bring one to beleive that the wheels of an ever increasing matirial obsessed and culture driven society has no where to go but faster. The major theme I focused on is the constant need to fuel the fire that is cool and the attached ideas of today's culture. The newest fad or style that will fade into obscurity, and prehaps end up in a Salvation Army thrift store. Something I feel is real issue, and may pose a problem to youth ministry. Not a deadly problem, but a major distraction from God and something that is easy to get caught up in.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Check out:

http://web.salvationarmy.org.uk/alove/news_topshop.asp

Good story about a young women turning old cool into new cool. And all for TSA.

Steve Bussey said...

Tim,

This is a brilliant link. Thanks for making us aware of this. It sounds like "Project Runway" - Salvation Army style!

Do you know whether there is any job creation for teens in our centers which might possibly come out of this development?

Steve

Tim said...

Not that I know of and, as it’s a new venture, I feel pretty confident that this young women is working on her own. However, if it’s successful, who knows! I have yet to meet her, but I'm already a fan!

Steve Bussey said...

She definitely sounds like a pretty neat person. Whenever I read this type of story, I find myself wishing I could get more of that creative flare!

It's the whole lemons vs. lemondade issue. I think if this is what a person can see out of material scraps, imagine what we could do with all the additional 'dormant opportunities' which lie around us!!!