Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Using Corel in a Ministerial Setting

I was having a bit of trouble finding some mysterious piece of software that would amaze and awe-inspire the world but then I realized... why should I be looking for something new and upcoming? Why not look at something that's already produced and just look for ways to utilize it within a ministry setting. Drawing on my own background I decided to take a look at something graphic related that I think would be beneficial to youth in high risk categories and would also be something realistic and cost effective. The solution that I came up with is CorelDraw and their new version, X3.

I know this probably sounds quite bizarre to anyone who's not 'graphically inclined' or even for those who are but my reasoning is as follows:

One of the things that I think is crucial, especially in an after-school type setting, is to give the kids something that is worthwhile and not just something that will occupy them for an hour while they are there. Something such as Corel offers these kids a myriad of benefits. Although it may not be the simplest program to just pick up and run with, any child who can manage their way through Windows should be able to pick up the basics of Corel quickly and with a minimal amount of instruction. Once they are comfortable with the program they can use it for several things. It can become an outlet for creativity, it can be a trade teaching tool because it is, unknown to some, an industry standard for many graphic designers. Corel can also be used for ministry specific items such as creating posters, pamphlets, cards, and any other publications that are needed. I am not sure about X3 but I know that previous versions also included programs for creating 3D models, flash animations, and webpage design.

As for the realism and cost effectiveness of CorelDraw X3, I was very surprised to see just how realistic it could be. Corel is good enough to offer licensing discounts and, even better, discounts for educational and non-profit purposes. If used in an after-school setting or perhaps a community (Kroc) center, it would fall under several categories - educational, non-profit, and religious organizations. The price under these categories amazed me as it comes in at a mere $99. It's a large discount from the otherwise $399 and a far cry from its closest competitor which is $1,599! Again, I think that CorelDraw X3 would be a great way to teach kids skills which could be used outside of the learning atmosphere and would be marketable when looking for employment and it also provides a great tool to allow them to simply be creative and produce fun things.

1 comment:

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the recommendation. Could you create a post and share more info about this program?

Thanks,

Steve