Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Sense of Urgency: Video Games and Community Capacity Development

Hi friends,

I just returned from the 2005 Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) conference in Idianapolis, Indiana. I had a great time meeting new friends, and was blown away by how deeply this conference resonated with my strongest inner convictions. I am excited to see how many people have been wrestling with similar issues that have been driving convictions for me. I hope that this will be just the beginning of an ongoing collaborative partnership.

I came away from the conference with a renewed sense of urgency - particularly in terms of work with youth who are at-risk. I will elaborate on this in more detail in days to come, but in the meantime I will highlight one area that has become a top priority in my life - video games.

Some of you might be saying, "WHAT?" at this point. You left a conference about poverty, reconciliation, wholistic mission, Christian political social action... and you're thinking about video games? Well... yes, I am.

Along with being a part of Project 1:17 which is a youthworker mentoring program for The Salvation Army, USA Eastern Territory, I am a part-time graduate student at New York University's Department of Culture and Communication. Recently, I have been taking classes in cognitive science and instructional technology. For one of these classes, I have been reading James Paul Gee's What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy. This book has helped to change my perception of the role which games can play in transforming people's lives. I am currently pulling together information for my thesis which will explore the relationship between new media, afterschool programs and wholistic change in the live of at-risk adolescents. There is so much more to elaborate on here, but I will do so as time progresses.

Whenever I am learning something new, I gain motivation to learn through asking the question, "How will this help or hinder what I am called to do in this life?" The practical applicability of what I am learning to what I am called to do in life determines the importance which I place on anything I read/do in life.

What am I called to do in life? I believe that God has called me to be a missionary to youth who are margnalized in this world (currently, this calling is situated in North America). He has called me to a wholitic ministry that embraces the entire person living in a complex community. He has also called me to raise up and equip young leaders who will join me (and many others) in embracing this calling. He has called me to explore new imaginative strategies that will aid in this calling. He has called me to serve through the vehicle of The Salvation Army, but to also work in partnership with anyone who is pursuing this aim.

This calling has led me to explore the potential which video games have to accomplish such a goal. I recognize that this sounds completely crazy, but I will explore these links further in due course.

In the meantime, please feel free to explore my blog, comment, agree, disagree, suggest additional resources etc. I have thick skin and am not easily offended. I am always interested in something new and recognize that the journey is just as important as the destination. I need collaborators who will join with me - in fleshing out these ideas - and turning dreams into reality.

I pray that this forum will help to fuel others who take their calling seriously and see that "...with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26) In context, this had to do with the calling of the rich young man, who had a great desire to follow Christ, but was not willing to give up his wealth (the means by which he lived/found his identity etc.) to follow Christ.

I want to surrender both my life and the means through which I want see the possibility of my calling fulfilled. I'm not a video game person, but if this will be used to help see the calling God has on my life - so be it!

I pray you too will seriously consider embracing your calling and the paths which this will take you on.

Steve

2 comments:

amidstthenoise said...

Hey Steve. It's Chris. Just wanted to let you know that I started reading the book you gave me over the weekend.

As soon as I finish reading it I will have tons of ideas to start brainstorming with you about the type of game we were discussing.

I'm really excited about this, and can't wait to start going over ideas and some thoughts with you!

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Chris,

I'm really glad that you are excited. I am also glad that you posted on the blog. I am hoping that from these conversations, the impossible can become a reality.

While you're reading, if anything arises which is of interest to you, please post these questions.

Best,

Steve