Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving and a Sober Reality Check

Hi all,

I hope all of my American friends have had enough Tums post-Thanksgiving; and that Thursday was a fantastic day to remember, give thanks, and think of others. We had a wonderful time of celebration with 23 friends and neighbors!

Stephen's post on hunger in Niger provided a sober reality check which reminded me that while we were all enjoying a turkey among a circle of friends, that poverty and suffering did not take a day off!

As I read through the Reuters article, I became brutally aware of the disturbing paradox. While we need to live a life that is filled with joy and thanksgiving, I am reminded that this cannot be an exercise in ego-centrism.

I'm not normally a Bible-pusher, but there are a few passages that ring so true today. I am once again challenged by the prophetic words of Amos 5:21-24:


"I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.
Even though you bring me burnt
offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship
offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your
harps.
But let justice roll on me like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream."

We need to let the scales drop from my eyes - and become advocates for those that suffer. With all the hecticness of our modern lives, it's easy to allow the 'noise' of everyday existence to drown out the cries of suffering humanity. I want Thanksgiving rather than being a day for celebrating all that we have, to rather be a day where we become conscious of how we can help others.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink... I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (selections from Matthew 25:34-40)

Check out this UN site for an up-to-date account of relief efforts in this part of the world.

Let's not be silent on this issue. Let's see the scales fall off our eyes and see the inhumanity of this crisis - and let's do something about it.

Steve

No comments: