Search This Blog

Monday, May 01, 2006

CCDA / Urban Youth Worker Institute 2005 - A Review of Some Workshops Relevant to Youthworkers

Some of you might be wondering where the barrage of postings of workshops have come from on my blog over the past day. This ties to an assignment I have given my students at Project 1:17.

This past November, I had the privilege of attending the Christian Community Development Association's 2005 conference in Indianapolis, Indiana - and at the same time attend the Urban Youthworker Institute. I was part of a delegation from our School for Officer Training that attended.

I was so impressed with what was being covered, that I wanted to pass on some of the information I had learned to our youthworkers. Our librarian, Robin Rader, ordered the complete set of CDs for our library (which you can order online from Dove Enterprises - if interested). This semester provided the perfect opportunity for them to reap the benefit of these resources.

There are so many great resources out there which we need to be tapping into - which will help us all do youth work more effectively. We do need to find motivation to work harder when it comes to work with at-risk youth, but often harder isn't the same as smarter.

Taking time to read good books and listen to good workshops of folk who have experience putting these ideas into practice will help make what you are doing much better.

Read through my students postings. Click on the links. Order the CDs. Utilize the distributed knowledge and experience of the larger community of youthworkers.

Steve

No comments: