Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Problem with Christianism - Time Magazine Editorial

My friend, Major Mark Tillsley had a chance to read my paper on Essentializing the Evangelical, and then sent me a copy of this week's current Time Magazine. In it, there is an editorial essay by Andrew Sullivan entitled, My Problem with Christianism (Part One/ Part Two).

While I am not opposing evangelicals who support the religious right, what I am opposing is speaking in presumptuous broad brushstrokes - assuming that this is the position of every evangelical.

It's not.

I think that there is something beautiful (and healthy!) about difference in evangelicalism. I think that's what people are looking for. I think that's why Jim Wallis' book, God's Politics: Why the right gets it wrong and the left doesn't get it is so popular.

That's what makes evangelicals unique. Like the old song goes: "They shall come from the right. They shall come from the left - and sit down in the kingdom of God."

(forgive me for changing the lyrics a bit!)

Steve

No comments: