Search This Blog

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Needing Some Suggestions on Evangelical Stereotypes in the Media

Can all those out in the blogiverse help me?

I am looking for other examples of evangelicals that are being represented in the media. They can include characters from:

> Animations
> Sitcoms
> Reality Shows
> Dramas
> Movies
> Music Videos

Ned Flanders is a good example. The reality shows are packed with them. The lady from The Office (can't remember her name!) is another.

Can you offer other suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

5 comments:

Gordon said...

There is a King of the Hill clip that Pernell has on the freeway cohort

http://thefreewaycohort.blogspot.com/2006/05/king-of-hill-church.html

Steve Bussey said...

Gordon,

Thanks so much. This clip is a great illustration of what I'm looking for.

If you're OK with it, I'm going to post this!

Also, if you have any suggestions re: the paper, I'd love to hear them.

Best,

Steve

Gordon said...

From a more serious note have you encountered Dave Tomlinsons The Post-evangelical? While exclusively UK based It may give you some pointers.

There was an article I highlighted about 10 days ago called the e-word.

Alan Jammieson looks at people outgrowing evanglicalism in his book churchless faith. There is an mp3 of a presentation he did last week on Jonny Bakers site which might be useful.

These are less about media though but having said that there may be some material.

Steve Bussey said...

Hi Gordon,

It's quite funny that you recommended 'The Post-Evangelical' and Johnny Baker's site. I just posted on both of these on Friday and Saturday!

However, I missed the MP3 presentation. I'll go back and have a listen.

Thanks for the suggestions! Would you be willing to read through it when I finish?

Steve

Steve Bussey said...

Clarification: "It" being my paper on essentializing the evangelical :)